Research has shown that almost 50% of new leaders fail to meet expectations within the first 12 to 18 months in their new position. This failure costs companies time and money resulting in a loss of productivity, efficiency, employee engagement, morale, and many other consequences.
When onboarding a new leader, it is important to hire an outside company to help facilitate the process in order to assimilate the leader into your organization more efficiently and effectively in a shorter period of time. This new leader onboarding process creates a path to success for the new leader and better results overall.
Here are 12 tips to consider when looking to hire a company to help implement the new leader onboarding process:
- Client List – Does the company have an impressive list of clients known for outstanding performance in their industries?
- Industry Experience – Does the company have coaches with experience in your industry or related industries possessing the knowledge of problems unique to your industry?
- Coaching Experience – Does the company have coaches with extensive experience coaching leaders at the C-level or high-potential Directors in preparation for officer level roles?
- Real World Experience – Does the company have coaches who have served in top senior level roles who are able to understand and relate to the real problems faced by your senior leaders?
- Coaching Methodology – Does the company have a proven coaching process and measurements that will help you and the leaders track progress and ensure success?
- Training & Certification – Does the company have coaches who have been trained and certified in a proven coaching methodology that has an established track record improving senior leader performance?
- ROI – Does the company have case studies to show the ROI for their coaching services?
- Education – Does the company have coaches with advanced degrees in business and psychology which provides the foundation for leadership development?
- Chemistry – Does the company have coaches who can establish instant credibility with your senior leaders?
- Fees – Do the company’s fees fit with your expectations and are they competitive with the coaching industry?
- Collaborative Partnership – Does the company have coaches who are committed to partnering with HR to achieve success for the new leader?
- Extensive Coach Network – Does the company have a network of coaches who can serve your needs at key locations around the globe?
Achieving success for your new leaders is possible with the right company to partner with you and implement a personalized strategic plan. Knowing what to look for in a company will offer you an even greater chance for success and open the door to improved leadership impact and effectiveness.